29 June 2012

HELP JAPAN PROJECT 2

Online sales are open till the stock lasts.
What is HELP JAPAN PROJECT 2? 
Following Japan’s devastating earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disaster in March 2011, I set up HELP JAPAN 1000 BIRDS PROJECT to raise money by selling my handmade ceramic birds through this blog. With many contributors’ support from all round the world, it has raised nearly £5000, which was donated to Japanese Red Cross. Although the news has faded away today, in fact their recovery has just started and they are facing a long journey. My visit to one of the devastated areas last September (you can view here) made me realise the importance of ongoing support. 
HELP JAPAN PROJECT 2  is my second fundraising project and is aimed to raise awareness, support and mostly hope to those affected people and the future generation.

What one can do might be small, but together we can build bigger and stronger hope, I truly believe. HELP JAPAN PROJECT 2 needs YOUR support. Every Little Helps. Thank you! 

You can view the result of this project (firsth phase) here.
Where does money go to? 
The donation will be delivered directly to Minamisanriku Cho in August. This town is one of the most devastated areas in the North of Japan. The majority of the town was wiped out by the tsunami. They face an unimaginable struggle and hardship towards their recovery, but people are striving today literary from zero. You can see more images (before & after) and the story of this town from here.  
How long does this project open? 
Online sales is open throughout July and it closes on Tuesday 31st July due to the administration prior to the visit to Japan in August. The online sale is reopen in September and continue until the stock lasts.
Who can help?
YOU! The project is open world wide through this blog, so anyone who can access to this post can contribute. 
How can I help? 
There are many ways that you can help. You can choose one or more, but hurry, some are limited numbers only. 
way to help ① Buy ‘HELP JAPAN Bird’
You can help by purchasing my little ceramic bird(s) and 100% proceeds will go to the donation. Last year 1000 limited edition of HELP JAPAN Birds were sold, the work inspired by the Japanese story of 1000 origami cranes (you can read more details here), wishing for their recovery from the disaster. Following many requests since the end of last project, the birds are back and ready to fly to a new home. 
‘HELP JAPAN’ logo was embossed on its body instead of wings, hoping for the affected people to be able to fly again for a new life. It can be used as a chopstick rest or a good luck charm for children, and adults alike. This would be the last time HELP JAPAN birds are available, so don’t miss this chance!!! Each bird was hand built and decorated individually, so please accept there may be a subtle difference to the image shown. (Please note that they are not numbered individually this year.) You can view a video of ‘making 1000 birds’ from last year here
way to help ② 
Buy ‘The Light of Hope’ candle holder
The original ‘Light of Hope’ is one of my recent work that was showcased at my Degree Show. (you can view here) I have made 60 limited edition (numbered each) of hand-thrown porcelain candle holders specially for HELP JAPAN PROJECT 2. Unglazed porcelain provides a distinctive matt surface and emphasises the translucency. The surface decorations indicate a number of teardrops shed last year, along with an ever-lasting message of keeping the light of hope to the future and the next generation for their long journey of recovery. 100% proceeds will go to the donation. Each piece was hand thrown, pierced and embossed individually, so please accept there may be a subtle difference to the image shown. 
way to help ③ Simply donate!
If you are happy to just donate without any purchace, or would like to contribute additional donation to your order, please do! No matter how small, it would be great help! Remember Every Little Helps!! Thank you. 

way to help ④ Spread the word! 
Friends, family, colleagues… please spread the word. Online sales are world wide, so use social network site such as Blog, Facebook, Twitter or maybe your mailing list, whatever the way you can share the information are welcome! If you would like to use the images in your blog, please only copy from this post (HELP JAPAN PROJECT 2) and make sure you share this link. I would appreciate if you could also let me know. Please do not use the other images without my permission. Thank you so much. 
way to help ⑤ Come to POTFEST in Pens
Why not visit Britain’s beautiful Lake District? I will be holding a stall at this ceramic show on 3rd, 4th & 5th August in Penrith, Cumbria. A range of items including my new work are available to purchase. 5% of stall proceeds will go onto the donation. HELP JAPAN Birds will also be on sale (whilst stock lasts). For more information of this event, please click here
How much are they?

‘HELP JAPAN Bird’ is £4 / bird
‘The Light of Hope’ candle holder is £30 / each. 
100% proceeds of both items will go to the donation. 
Package & Post fee will apply to each order. The details are below. Please note that P&P charge includes basic PayPal surcharges. This is to maximize the contribution to the appeal.
  • The order will be sent via Royal Mail small packages service or standard airmail. 
  • If you wish to be sent by special tracking delivery, please request me when you place an order. There will be an additional charge.  
How can I place my order? 
You can order via email. Once your order has come through, you will then receive a PayPal payment request in £/GBP on the same email address. You can pay by following the payment instruction, which should allow you to pay via your PayPal account if you have one, otherwise you can use credit card / debit card. PayPal is a safer, faster and easier way to purchase online and setting up is very easy. Please DO NOT send me cash or cheque
If you are local to my studio, direct purchase can be arranged. Please contact me first. I will also be selling HELP JAPAN Birds at POTFEST in Pens on 3rd, 4th & 5th August. For more information of this event, please click here
When do I receive my order? 
Your order will be posted AFTER the payment confirmation. Please allow 3-5 working days within UK, and 10-15 working days for oversea delivery. You will receive an email notice from me when the item has been sent out. If you require special delivery, please indicate when you place an order.
Can I refund or exchange? 
I’m afraid not. This is a non-profitable fundraising project to raise donations and in order to provide smooth administration, I will not be able to accept any refund or exchange once the order is received. Please make sure all the information is correct before you send your Email.
Any questions? 
If you have any questions prior to the order, please feel free to email me. 

HOW TO ORDER: 
Please email me <subject:> HELP JAPAN, and state the followings in your order. 
1. Please indicate clearly which items / how many you would like to buy.
for example;  Bird x 2 , The light of hope x 1

2. If you would like to donate (just donate or additional), please indicate the amount in £ / GBP. It will be added to the total payment request. 
3. Your name
4. Your full postal address (Please include name of country & post code)
You do not need to calculate in your order. Once your order has been placed, you will receive the payment request of the total amount (items cost, P&P, extra donation) via email. 
(If this does not work, please email me to makikohastings@gmail.com)

Thank you everyone!!! xm

17 comments:

  1. Hello, I can't wait to put a candle in my hope light!
    It will remind me of you and what one person can do to make a kinder world
    xx
    julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, thank you so much for your support all the way. Hope you enjoy the light of hope soon. xm

      Delete
  2. Just spreaded the word on my blog & made a 'button' on the side.
    Good luck & good sales!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you have paypal to make a donations? Thanks for your work in the world..blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elayne.

      If you would prefer just to donate, that can also be done by Email request (let me know how much you would like to donate), then I will send you paypal payment request. Hope that is ok. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. HELP JAPAN 2 is online on my blog now too :-) Keeping my fingers crossed for a lot of visits here ánd donations of course!
    x
    Roos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Makiko; I am very moved by your initiative. Also just the pure beauty of it touches me. I have passed it on to my neighbor -who is from Japan- as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simone for contacting me and spreading the word. xm

      Delete
  6. This is just an amazing undertaking by you, I was so diappointed I missed out on the birds by the time I caught up with this last time. I have just shared on FB :) Joy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy. Glad you have participated too. Thank you for sharing in you FB.

      Delete
  7. Recieved beautiful Light of Hope light and adore its delicacy ; Its on my blog with link.
    xx
    julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie :) I am delighted to see my light is nicely mingled with your gorgeous chinese lantan post! x m

      Delete
  8. Hi Maki,

    I have added a link to my blog. I have used one of your images, I hope that's OK.

    My Grandma was delighted with her little bird.

    I hope you're fundraising is going well.

    K x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christian. Glad to hear your gran liked the birdie :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Makiko, I just received the birds and love them! Did a little blogpost about it: http://mouseblossom.nl/babble/makiko-hastings-1-000-ceramic-birds/ Hope you like it. Best wishes from the Netherlands, Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete